Hi friends! Well, I’m a couple days late posting this month’s challenge, but I finally finished getting it posted! This month’s DIY At Home Challenge was to complete a project that could be completed in 2 hours (not including any drying times for paint or stain). So, I decided to put my woodworking and Cricut skills to use by building two DIY Large Entryway Signs! I build the wood portion of the sign, and then added some Cricut creations, the best of both worlds!
The area in my entryway above the DIY board and batten I put up for a previous month’s challenge was in desperate need of some decor. This challenge gave me the perfect opportunity to fill up that plain wall space!
Be sure to check out all the other At Home DIY Challenge 2 Hour Projects here:
Now onto this month’s challenge project!
Wood Purchase List
- (1) Half sheet 3/4" cabinet grade plywood
- (2) 8' 1x2 boards
Wood Cut List
- (2) 3/4" plywood boards @ 18"x24"
- (4) 1x2 boards @ 25 1/4" with each end mitered at 45 degrees
- (4) 1x2 boards @ 19 1/4" with each end mitered to 45 degrees.
- Wood Glue
- 1 1/4" 18 guage brad nails
- White chalk paint
- Foam brushes
- Wire picture hanging kit
- Varathane Briarsmoke wood stain
- Chrome Blue Vinyl
- Black vinyl
- Cricut Express Air or Cricut Maker
- Cricut basic tool kit
- Cricut Standard Grip mat (12x12 and 12x24)
- Compound Miter Saw
- Jig Saw or Table Saw
- Brad Nail Gun (18 guage)
- Tape Measure
1. Cut a plywood half sheet into two 18x24 boards
2. Sand any rough spots until the board is smooth.
3. Use a foam brush to apply a thin layer of white chalk paint (this allows for some of the wood grain to show through.
4. Cut the boards to build the frame:
- Cut four 1x2 boards to 25 1/4" in length, with each end of each board mitered 45 degrees
- Cut four 1x2 boards to 19 1/4" in length, with each end of each board mitered 45 degrees
5. Use a foam brush to stain the cut 1x2 boards with Varathane Briarsmoke wood stain.
6. While the boards are drying, cut out the vinyl designs with the Cricut. Most of the designs used for my signs were purchased at Design Bundles, links are included below:
(2) Door Decal svg
7. Modify and cut the svg files: (note: some of these will need to be cut on the 12x24 standard grip mat)
- This Home Runs on Love and Laughter svg: Ungroup the svg, click on all the elements that form the heart shape, group the heart, and the choose a different color for the heart. Regroup all the text along with the heart and then increase the size of the svg to 11 1/2" in width.. Cut the heart on blue chrome vinyl and the text on black vinyl.
- Door Decal svg: Add text with family last name to the svg. Underneath the decal, add in the names of the family members, with a circle separating the names. Group all items in the svg, and then expand the svg to 16" wide. Cut the family name on blue chrome vinyl and the remainder of the svg (the decal and the first names) on black vinyl.
- Home Rules svg: Ungroup the svg, then delete the "Home Rules" text at the top. Add in text of the family last name, followed by "Family Rules". Group that text and add a curve and a different color. Resize that text so it is 16" wide. Regroup the remainder of the svg and expand it so the width of the svg is 11 1/2" . Cut the curved family rules text in blue chrome vinyl, and the remainder of the svg on black vinyl.
8. Attach the frame to the 3/4" plywood sign backing using wood glue and 1 1/4" brad nails and brad nail gun.
9. Weed the excess vinyl from the cuts and transfer to the signs using transfer paper.
9. Add a wire picture hanger to the back of each sign and hang in your entryway or other desired location!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Cricut Standard Grip Mat 12x12
Cricut Standard Grip Mat, 12x24
Cricut Tools, Basic Set
Cricut Explore Air 2
1-1/4-Inch 18 Gauge Brad Nails
Single Bevel Compound Miter Saw
Picture Hanging Wire Kit
Chrome Blue Adhesive Craft Vinyl
Matte Black Permanent Adhesive Vinyl
Foam Paint Brushes
Varathane Wood Stain, Briarsmoke
FolkArt Chalk Paint - White