Right before Christmas, I built a large (26″) farmhouse clock that I hung on the wall in my dining room. The clock looked great, but since it was the only thing on the wall, the wall still looked plain. So I decided to build two DIY Wall Sconces with a Shelf built in, one for each side of the large clock.
DIY Wall Sconce with Shelf Wood List:
(makes 2 wall sconces)
DIY Wall Sconce with Shelf Cut List (for two wall sconces):
(Some of the links below contain affiliate links, I may receive a small commission if you purchase anything though these links. Please see my disclosure policy for full details.)
|Miter Saw||2-Inch Wood Screws||Varathane Weathered Wood Accelerator|
|Wood Glue||8 1/4″ Glass Jar with Hemp Rope||Screw Hooks|
|Mini Potted Artificial Succulent Plants||Laser Engraved Wood Words “Love”||Laser Engraved Wood Words “Home”|
DIY Wall Sconce with Shelf Instructions:
1. Cut two 1×12″ boards at 24″ in length each.
2. Cut two 1×4 boards to 10″ in length each.
3. Stain all boards with the Varathane Weathered Wood accelerator and let dry completely.
4. While the stain is drying, paint the two laser engraved words (“love” and “home”) with the color of your choosing – I used Fusion Mineral paint.
5. Once the Weathered stain has completely dried, connect a 10″ board 6″ below the top of each of the two 1×12 boards using wood glue and 2″ interior wood screws (predrill through the back of the 1×12 into the 1×4 shelf boards).
6. Attach a screw hook in the bottom of the center of the 10″ board. Place the hook towards the front edge of the board.
7. Use wood glue to attach the painted wood words onto the front of the 1×12 board, about 1″ above the shelf. One of the sconces should have the word glued towards the right edge (if looking at the board), and the other sconce should have the wording glued towards the left edge of the 1×12 board.
8. Attach a picture hanger to the upper middle of the back of each 1×12 board, and hang on the wall in the desired location.
9. Place a faux succulent planter on each shelf, opposite the side the word is glued to.
10. Hang a rope jar on each wall sconce (hang rope over the hook).
11. Place a flameless candle into each jar and enjoy!
This was a quick one-day project and the painted wording adds a nice pop of color! These would also be a great gift idea!
Join the Pinspired to DIY newsletter
Be the first to get notified of new projects posted on the blog!